Have you ever used a cream, soap, medication os come in contact with a certain plant or fabric that lead to your skin feeling itchy, irritated and red? If so, you may have experienced contact dermatitis. This condition occurs when chemicals you come into contact with cause a reaction.
Contact dermatitis is a red, itchy rash caused by direct contact with a substance or an allergic reaction to it.
It is not contagious, and non life threatening.
SYMPTOMS of contact dermatitis include:
- A red rash
- Itching, which may be severe
- Dry, cracked, scaly skin
- Bumps and blisters, sometimes with oozing and crusting
- Swelling, burning or tenderness
Allergic contact dermatitis causes include:
- Poison ivy
- Certain insects or beetles
- Nickel, a metal found in jewelry and belt buckles
- Leather (specifically, chemicals used in tanning leather)
- Latex rubber
- Citrus fruit, especially the peel
- Fragrances in soaps, shampoos, lotions, perfumes, and cosmetics
- Some medications you put on your skin
To treat contact dermatitis successfully, you need to identify and avoid the cause of your reaction. If you can avoid the offending substance, the rash usually clears up in two to four weeks. You can try soothing your skin with cool, wet compresses, anti-itch creams and other self-care steps.
But incase the rash is extremely itchy, or uncomfortable or if it is infected, you must consult a dermatologist.